Search This Blog

Friday, February 3, 2012

Iowa Street Sunrise looking West


Iowa Street Sunrise, 36x36, oil on canvas_Work in Progress
This is one of my latest projects started a few weekends ago. I did not make any progress on it at all since then. My shoulder is giving me fits and it is too painful to paint on this large of a canvas. I know when I get back to it it will flow!I have been studying it and figuring how I want it to read.

The top photo would be the end of the second day after I got things figured out and loosely blocked in and have started to lay some paint down. The bottom photo is after the third day. Wanting to weave the color and the textures of the trees and have then the halo of light create a silhouette is where I was headed. I decided to start on the periphery with the trees coming down from each corner and working my way down each side. Then I switched to the  middle and made the light halo more solid and the blue sky a bit darker. Last I started to work my way out from the rich color of light down the center of the street and that is where I got stuck. I made it up the left side just fine but on my way to the right I started to get lost in the trees and going into too much detail. I had to stop to begin fresh another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks nice Victoria ~ I like how you showed the comparison! I also think the general public will like this even more than the alleys (even though I as an artist still love your alley series)! jp